88 Main Street, New London NH


Current Use

  • Barn Playhouse Residence

Formerly

  • 1942 - 19?? — Residence for nurses at New London Hospital. The building was at first leased by the Hospital, beginning in 1942 and purchased in 1945.
  • 1932 - 1945 — Owned by Alice Brannon of Brooklyn and leased; In 1936 the "Glen-Romo" tea and lunch room was here, and the Barn Players may have used it as a residence. The Hospital began leasing it in 1942.
  • 1928 - 1932 — Home of Robert and Minnie (Dockham) Knight; known as "Knight's Rest" when they took in boarders
  • 1924 - 1928 — Home of Fred and Josie (Chadwick) Pressey; house was built by Pressey
  • 1885 - 1921 — Part of the farm of A.J. Sargent
  • 1852 - 1885 — Part of the farm of James Morgan
  • 1816 - 1852 — Part of farm of David Evereet, son of Jonathan
  • 1789 - 1816 — Part of the original Jonathan Everett Farm, with farmhouse across the street

Building History


In 1924 Fred A. Pressey bought the farm bisected by Upper Main Street and on it built the house which was the building known as the Nurses' Home of the New London Hospital.[1] He lived here until 1928.

Home of Robert M. Knight (1871-c. 1947). "Robert Knight has purchased the house owned by Fred A. Pressey."[2] Knight had owned the store near the Colby Homestead earlier, and then the First National Store at various periods between 1906 and 1920. At this house, he and his wife, Minnie, took in boarders, calling the place "Knight's Rest." Knight's parents, George and Melinda (Adams) Knight, operated one of the first boarding houses in New London on Knight's Hill, so Robert would have had considerable experience with hospitality.

Mrs. Alice Brannon of Brooklyn, N.Y. apparently rented out the house, as the Business Directory of New London has Ruth Rowe and Helen Morey operating the "Glen-Romo, next to the Barn" with home cooking, a tea room, and lunches served.[3] Mrs. Brannon leased it to the New London Hospital as a residence for nurses from 1942 to 1944.

Photos & Images


88-3.jpg


  1. ^ Squires, p. 127, footnote 44
  2. ^ The Highlander, December 11, 1928, p. 1
  3. ^ Business Directory, July 1936, p. 5