139 Main Street, New London NH


Current Use

  • Private Residence

Formerly

  • 1937 to 1970 - Home of Wayne Keith Wheeler (1913-1983) and Alice (Nash) Wheeler (1910- ).
  • 1926 to c. 1937 - House was built by Walter George Chadwick (1880-1955); he lived here with his wife, Gertrude O. (Cota) Chadwick and their two children.
  • c. 1907 vacant lot, owned by Fred A. Pressey
  • former Everett/ A.J. Sargent land (see 89 Main Street)

Building History

On this land (part of the original Everett and A.J. Sargent property, later owned by Fred A. Pressey) Walter George Chadwick, a contractor and builder, erected this house in 1926. His sister, Josie Chadwick Pressey, was married to Fred Pressey. Chadwick built this house, as well as the second addition to the New London Hospital at 119 Main Street, and the Ann Pardy house at 102 Main Street.[1] The Chadwicks moved to the house next door (see 145 Main St.), also built by Walter.

In 1937 the house was acquired by Wayne K. Wheeler and his family. Wheeler, son of Eugene and Martha Belle (Mason) Wheeler, was the treasurer of Colby Junior College and very much involved in town affairs. The Wheelers moved to Venice, Florida in 1970.


Photos & Images


139-1.jpg
Tilley Residence



  1. ^ Squires, p. 365