144 Main Street, New London NH


Current Use

  • Private Residence / Apartment

Formerly

  • 1890s - 1974 — Home of brothers Will and Weston Ray
  • c. 1889 - 1930 — House built by Lowell Loammi Ray
  • 1887 — Blacksmith Shop built by Lowell Loammi Ray

Building History


This building was erected by Lowell Loammi Ray (1854-1930) about 1889, following his third marriage (in 1889) to Idella A. Gile. He had built a blacksmith shop on this property in 1887.[1] He learned the craft from his father, Asa, and was described as "a practical workman, an honest, intelligent citizen."[2] In 1908, having been unable to work for several months, Ray "secured a comptent blacksmith from Northfield, MA, and has reopened his shop." He fully recovered, living until 1930. He and Idella had two sons, Willie, born in 1892, and Weston, born in 1895.

The two brothers remained in this house throughout their lives. Will (1892-1972) never married. A painter, he was active in the IOOF, serving as secretary for 48 years and as Grand Master. He was also a Sexton and Toller at the First Baptist Church for 40 years. Weston (1895-1973) married twice — to Mary Louise Parker in 1938, and after her death in 1951, to Helen (Shepard) Nelson (1905-1974). Helen was the head librarian at Tracy Memorial Library from 1941 to 1971; Weston was the custodian at the Central School and also active in the IOOF. The brothers used the former blacksmith shop as a garage.

Photos & Images


144-1.jpg


  1. ^ NH Argus and Spectator, June 10, 1887, p. 2
  2. ^ Lord, p. 629