166 Main Street, New London NH

Current Use

  • Private Residence (apartments)


  • 1899 - 1999 — Home of Dorris Smith; she took in boarders, and after 1953 Dr. John Ohler had his medical office in the ell
  • 1895 - 1952 — Home of Reverdy F. Smith and his second wife, Lizzie (Andrews) Smith; he died in 1932 and she in 1952

Building History

This house was built by Reverdy F. Smith (1862-1932) in 1895, a few years after his second marriage to Lizzie Belle Andrews (1893-1952). A skilled carpenter, "Verdy" as he was known, built a number of prominent buildings in New London, including the early Hospital (Griffin Building), the IOOF building, the building now used by the New London Agency, and the Colby Hill School. He also built a number of cottages at Soo-Nipi Park and the last big addition to the Lodge there in 1905. The original house that he built for his family is now the ell with the barn attached to it. The three story front section was added later, and a crew of Italian workers from Boston, assisted. There were four rooms per floor with the third floor reserved for Verdy's office. The Smiths had a large garden, usually two cows, a pig, and chickens. They often had summer boarders, including two sisters, school teachers from Manchester, who came for a number of summers.[1] In a list of boarding houses in the Dartmouth-Sunapee region dating from the 1930s, the Smith house is described as accommodating six people, serving meals, and open all winter. Smith's mother, Mrs. Rhoda Maria Smith, along with his sister, Elzina and her husband, Frank Knowlton lived at the Peter Christian's site (XXX Main Street), and another sister, Cornelia, was married to Gen. Joseph Clough and also lived on Main Street (at XXX). After Verdy's death in 1932, his widow and daughter, Dorris (1899-1999) lived here. Dorris was the town tax collector from 1944-1972 and also took in summer boarders. One regular boarder she had for many years was Thomas J. Smith (no relation), who was a gardener and took care of the town skating rink.[2]

When Dr. John Ohler came to New London in 1953, he had his office in the original portion of the house, in the ell.

Photos & Images


  1. ^ Interview with Dorris Smith by Mildred Tunis, 1973
  2. ^ Squires, p. 473