169 Main Street, New London NH

Current Use

  • Demolished April 26, 2012.


  • Kearsarge Regional School District (SAU 65) offices
  • New London Central School classrooms
  • Our Lady of Fatima (Catholic church)
  • Catholic church parsonage
  • The Green Maple (candies, novelties, tea room)

Building History

The current Dutch Colonial, built in the fall of 1930, replaced and earlier store on the property. Joseph Bourjeau and his younger brother, Phillip, built the structure and then opened for business in the spring of 1931. French-Canadians, the Bourjeaus were among the relatively small number of Catholics around Lake Sunapee, and they offered the church use of the meeting hall at the rear of the building. A priest from Enfield would travel to New London in order to conduct the services. After the Green Maple failed in 1936, the building was sold to the Diocese of Manchester and renovated as New London's first, dedicated Catholic worship space. In the 1950s, New London got its own priest, who lived on the second floor. The garage was probably built at that time. In 1967, the present Our Lady of Fatima church was dedicated, and use of this building was given to the newly-formed Kearsarge Regional School District—first as classroom and later as administrative space. After removal of the Kearsarge Regional Middle School from New London, the district's SAU 65 offices were moved into the central section of the former school, and this building was deemed unnecessary. In March 2011, voters appropriated $35,000 for its destruction. The building was removed in April 2012.

Stories & Trivia

The town's first Catholic services were held in the rear annex of this building. While not part of the main structure, this annex was constructed at the same time as the rest of the building.

Photos & Images