228 Main Street, New London NH

Current Use

  • Zero Celsius Wealth Studio
  • Center for the Arts Micro-Gallery


  • 2000 — Hutchens Investment Management
  • 1954 - 1971 — owned by Carlton and Ellie Barton
  • owned or rented by Rivers family
  • 1945 - 195? — owned by E.P. Edmunds; rented to Irving Davis
  • 1940 - 1945 — owned by E. P. Edmunds; acquired from Wheeler heirs
  • c, 1909-1940 — home of Eugene and Martha Wheeler
  • c. 1907 - c. 1909 — Fred Pressey
  • 1905? — built by Herman Adams
  • 1900 — land of Herman S. Adams

Building History

Probably built around 1904/5 by Herman S. Adams (1871-1907); the Adams family owned the house to the north of this building, and the property was part of that original parcel. Adams was a noted carriage painter, insurance agent, and leader of the New London Cadet Band.[1] After Adams' death in 1907, the property was owned briefly by Fred Pressey, who sold it to Eugene Wheeler (1881-1940) about 1909. Wheeler operated a barber shop for many years, under the New London Inn. With his wife, Martha (Mason) Wheeler (1874-1956), Wheeler raised three children.

In April 1940, The Speaker notes that three homes on Main Street had changed hands. "Erving P. Edmunds purchased the home of the late Eugene Wheeler."[2] Edmunds rented the house by 1945 to Irving Davis, Jr. who had come to New London in 1934.[3] along with his wife, Flavilla (Peak) Davis and two daughters, Dorothy and Barbara. Irving was the brother of Theresa Davis Hayes, living at 256 Main Street.

In January 1954 Carlton F. (1926-200? ) and Eleanor (Gay) Barton (1926-1982) opened the Carlton F. Barton Agency, selling insurance and, later, real estate. In the summer of that year they moved into this building, raising their four boys here and running the business. In 1968 Carlton ("Bud") added a wing and office to the building. In 1971 the Bartons moved from here, becoming among the first tenants in the new New London Shopping Center on Newport Road.[4]

In the spring and summer of 2012, new entrance porches were constructed on the main block and the rear wing; they feature partial stone-veneer columns mirroring the stone foundation of the building.

Photos & Images


  1. ^ Spiller, 1945, and Squires, pp. 119 and 343
  2. ^ The Speaker, April 1940, p. 3
  3. ^ Squires, p. 379
  4. ^ Intertown Record, February 17, 2004, p. 1