242 Main Street, New London NH


Current Use

  • TDS Telecom

Formerly

  • 1967 — brick building houses Kearsarge Telephone Company
  • 1945 — structure rebuilt, accommodating Little's Garage, Kearsarge Telephone Co. and residence of Arthur Little
  • 1924 - 1944 — home of A. Stanley Little and Little's Garage ;fire destroys garage on Aug. 28, 1944
  • 1908 - c. 1924 — Home of Fred Pressey; also housed a tea room, dentist's office and Sylvester Allen's paint shop
  • c. 1900 — house built at this site by Sylvester Allen

Building History


Built by Sylvester M. Allen (1876-1941) around 1900.[1] Allen was a house painter and later had a residence and baking company on Pearl St. which burned in 1916. Thereafter, he operated his painting business from this house which he had sold around 1908 to Fred A. Pressey (1870-1957). A tea room and dentist's office were also housed in the Pressey residence for a time. Pressey remained here until 1924 when he sold the house to A. Stanley Little (1906-1948).

Originally from Salisbury, Mr. Little managed what became the Kearsarge Telephone Co (established in 1883) in 1906, first operating from the Drug Store. In 1914 he married Marion Shepard, daughter of Charles E. Shepard. Little also began Little's Garage at the Shepard's Stable site in 1917. When he purchased this Fred Pressey property in 1924, and he moved both the telephone company and the garage here, in the ell and barn attached to the house. The garage burned to the ground in a fire on August 28, 1944.[2] In 1945 he rebuilt a fireproof structure on the same site. Mr. Little was an auto dealer for Overland. Nash, Chevrolet, and Buick automobiles. His son, Arthur Stanley Little, Jr., (b.1916), joined the business after returning from service in WWII, becoming a partner in 1947. After his father died the following year, Arthur's brother-in-law, Herbert O. Williams, was brought into the business. In addition to dealing in automobiles, they also sold farm machinery. In the mid-1950s, there was another fire in the second floor paint shop, but the building was saved. The garage and auto dealership closed in 1960.

In 1967 the structure was rebuilt, housing only the telephone company. The front of the building was covered in brick, and most of the old garage bays were closed, leaving one garage door on the left for a line truck. Richard Brady became General Manager of the telephone company, succeeding Arthur Little in June of 1976. Cable television was added in 1982 and cellular phones in 1992. The Kearsarge Telephone Company was purchased by TDS Telecom in 1996.

Photos & Images


242-1.jpg
TDS Telecom


  1. ^ Spiller, 1945
  2. ^ Squires, p. 74, footnote 29