267 Main Street, New London NH


Current Use

  • Apartments

Formerly

  • Pinky Jennison
  • Heath
  • Morrison
  • c. 1900 - 1961 — Esther Cross Whittemore
  • c. 1900 — Job and Kate (Fowler) Cross (he died in 1909, and she stayed on with daughter, above)
  • 1873-c. 1895 — Charles D. Sargent and Keziah (Sanborn) Sargent — had boarding house "Quiet Home"
  • 1828-1893 — First Baptist Church parsonage

Building History


Built by Marcus Sargent in 1828 on the "Parsonage Lot" for the first minister in New London after Job Seamans, who retained his house on North Pleasant Street. This man was Rev. Oren Tracy. A board in a doorway casing in a second floor room was inscribed, "This house was built in the year of our Lord 1828 by Marcus Sargent of New London, NH." Seven Baptist Church ministers and their families lived here: Oren Tracy, 1828-1836; Reuben Sawyer, 1836-1844; Mark Carpenter, 1844-1848; Ebenezer Dodge, 1849-1853; Henry K. Lane, 1854-1857; Lucian Hayden, 1857-1868; and Frederick D. Blake, 1869-1873. Thereafter, ministers lived in the current parsonage, across from the First Baptist Church on Main Street.

The property was acquired by Charles D. Sargent (1815-1895) and Keziah (Sanborn) Sargent (1826-19??) in 1873. Charles was "a successful farmer", and the couple had three children.[1] By 1889 they were taking in summer boarders, calling their residence "Quiet Home," with Mrs. Sargent as hostess.[2] After Charles' death in 1895, Keziah moved to Newport to live with her daughter, Ella.

Job Clapp Cross (1828-1909) and his second wife, Kate (Fowler) Cross (1856-1933), whom he married in 1883, had one daughter, Esther May (1897-1983). They moved to this house in around 1900. After Job Cross' death, Kate Cross married James Hayes (1858-1948) in 1919, and they lived here. Esther married Frederick Eli Whittemore (1907-1933) in 1928, and they lived in the house too. Frederick died in a tragic accident in 1933, and Esther raised their three children here, taking in boarders to supplement the family income. Some of them included Earl Berry (1900-1952) who operated a watch and jewelry shop in the front, left room of the house; Lillian and Charlie Queen, and Al and Cora Gaudet. There were then two barns with the house, and the land extended to the property on which the Ice House Museum is now located.

Photos & Images


267-3.jpg
Apartments



  1. ^ Lord, p. 526
  2. ^ Summer Rest, 1889 to 1892; in 1893 Mrs. F.P. Sargent, daughter-in-law of Charles and Keziah, was listed as hostess