374 Main Street, New London NH

Current Use

  • Apartments
  • Commercial:
    • Colby Realty
    • Dead River Fuel


  • 2000 - C.B. Coburn / Not Just Balloons (gift, candy shop)
  • Home Decor - 1970s
  • Purchased by Daniel H. Wolf, August, 1973
  • New London Post Office - 1936-1971
  • 1891 - Charles E. Shepard residence
  • c. 1855 - 1890 - Store of Charles Seamans Sargent. In 1855 called "Sargent and Guild."

Building History

1853 - Deed of Ezekiel and Emily Sargent to Charles Seamans Sargent, 1 acre (Merrimack Co. deeds, V. 117, p. 492).

1855 - Ad in The Cresset, April 23, 1855 for "Sargent and Guild, " at Sargent's Block, "directly opposite the Institution" (NL Literary and Scientific Institution), selling "Dry and West Indian Goods, Ready-Made Clothing and Made-to-Order." The store had an ell for horse sheds. Mr. Guild was the Charles Guild who left the Colby Store, further up Main Street in about that year. On May 14, 1855 Sargent mortgaged the store lot to Charles Guild (Merrimack C. deeds, V. 122, p. 403), "with store and shed, and all fixtures including a scale and desk." Seamans got the property back before 1858 .

Charles Seamans Sargent (1817-1890) operated the tailor shop alone from at least 1858 (Walling map) until his death on January 7, 1890. In Summer Rest for August, 1889, p. 20, Sargent advertises "dry and fancy goods, notions, clothings - including hats, caps, boots, and shoes, and school books and stationery". In the August issue for 1890, after his death, Summer Rest notes, "For more than 35 years he had been almost constantly in his place at the store opposite the Heidelberg...At his death he was post-master of the town. His most excellent wife preceded him to the better land about three years ago."

Colby Academy Voice, June, 1890, p. 12: "Mr. [Amos] Whipple is selling the goods formerly owned by Mr. Sargent. All the earliest styles of clothing can be procured. Silk hats a specialty."

In 1891, the store building was purchased by Charles E. Shepard. Summer Rest for August, 1890, p. 16, notes: "The old store of the late C.S. Sargent has undergone entire metamorphosis and has become the beautiful and commodious house of Mr. Charles Shepard. An additional story and a broad pizza on two sides, with entire remodelling inside, are neatly finished up and painted, and make one of the finest residences on the street." In Jan. of 1889 Charles Everett Shepard (1864-19 ) had married Maude Jewett Hersey, and they had 6 children. The second son, James Eli II (1892-1976) went into partnership with his father following WWI in 1919. In 1936 James became the postmaster, with the postal boxes and office in this family house. In the Feb. 8, 1937 edition of The Speaker, the new location of the post office is noted: "The entire lower story of this house will be remodelled and so arranged as to give much more space." There was an apartment created above the post office, with the work done by William Hayes. James Eli was postmaster until 1962, but the post office continued to operate in this space until 1971. James Eli Shepard died in 1976.

In 1973 Daniel H. Wolf acquired the building. "A new front picture window has already spruced up the building. The building has house the Snack Shack prior to Mr. Wolf's purchase." (Argus, August 29, 1973).

Stories & Trivia

<Insert stories or legends>

Photos & Images

Commercial / Apartments

Related Articles

<insert link(s) here>