394 Main Street, New London NH

Current Use

  • Village Sports, OMG Boutique, Aesthetics


  • Aesthetics — owned by Deb Coffin
  • Pharmacists and other tenants:
    • 1970-1977 — Robert Lovely, Jr. (New London Pharmacy)
    • 1940-1970 — Robert Lovely (New London Pharmacy)
    • 1924-1940 — Fred Lovely (New London Pharmacy)
    • 1906-1924 — Alfred B. Stimson
    • 1903-1905 — Ralph H. Keil - store burns in 1905
    • 1902 — Kidder Brothers
    • 1900-1902 — Oscar E. Crockett
    • 1895 — Dr. Charles Lamson has office there but lives in Scytheville
    • 1894-1900 — W.C. Leonard; in 1894, W.E. Cleaves has jewelry business in part of store. In 1898 Leonard took Oscar F. Crockett as partner.
    • 1893 — Dr. Merrill briefly; then he sold to W.C. Leonard
    • 18??-1892 — A.H. Whipple - Drug store; in 1890 W.C. Leonard joins the firm as partner
    • 1885-1887 — Albert H. Daggett in charge of Whipple's store and post office
    • 1870 — Dr. Solomon M. Whipple establishes pharmacy.
  • 1861-1870 — probably built in 1861 as shoemaker's shop of Joseph N. Hanaford; his son, Sidney, had a photography studio upstairs

Building History

April 2, 1861 — Deed of John M. and Susan Hayes to Joseph Hanaford, (Merrimack Co. deeds, V. 161, p. 325). "Mr. Hanaford was a shoemaker by trade and built what is now the drug store for a shoe shop. His son Sidney utilized the upper story as a photographer's studio along in the '60s," (Lord, p. 281). Mrs. Betsey Hanaford was the matron at the Academy.

August 24, 1870 — Hanaford sold to Solomon M. Whipple (Merrimack Co. deeds, V. 199, p. 316). Dr. Whipple (1820-1884) studied medicine at Dartmouth and UVM, and came to NL in 1849 after his graduation (Lord, pp. 535-539). The New London Advocate for Sept. 4, 1872 observes, "The new bay windows at the 'sign of the Golden Mortar' are quite an an improvement."

Amos Hersey Whipple (1856-1916 ), son of Dr. Solomon Whipple "for several years carried on the drugstore established by his father," (Lord, p. 537). In 1882, Amos sold his livery equipment and public stock at auction and left the drugstore "in charge of his efficient clerk, Mr. Ransom C. Pingree," while he went to Nantasket Beach for the summer to manage "The Pavillion" (Republican Champion, June 8, 1883, p. 1). The Colby Voice for June 1889, says that Albert H. Daggett, who had recently graduated from the Academy, had charge of Whipple's drugstore. In 1890 Amos took on W.C. Leonard as partner, and in 1894 Whipple moved to Boston.

Dr. John F. Merrill, who succeeded Dr. J. P. Elkins as the local doctor, appears to have owned this property briefly in 1893. Summer Rest for August, 1893, p. 9: "The drug store has changed hands once or twice. Mr. Merrill bought out A.H. Whipple, and then sold out to W. Leonard, who now dispenses medicines, varieties, and soda water. He also talks through a telephone." Merrill moved to Franklin Falls in 1894. (Lord, p. 609). William C. Leonard clerked for Dr. Merrill during this period. Leonard then attended the Chicago School of Pharmacy after which he acquired the pharmacy. In 1896, he was appointed postmaster. In 1898, Leonard purchased a half interest in the Potter Place and New London stage line, and at the same time took in Oscar T. Crockett as a partner in his pharmacy (Lord, p. 605). Leonard retired shortly after 1900 (Squires, p. 13).

Oscar C. Crockett officially bought pharmacy from Leonard in 1902, and during his tenure a Colby Academy student named Sam Best, came to work for him. In a talk for Old Home Day in 1963, Best described the store as having one large room with a prescription counter and lab in the back where the telephone exchange was also housed (there were then 26 telephones in town). There was a small side room with a sink and hand pump and in the back a shed-like room for storage. There was no plumbing, electricity, or gas lamps. Best slept in the attic. The drug store sold flowers, papers, and magazines. Crockett had to sell ithe business in 1905 because of ill health; he sold the pharmacy to Adriane C. Speck (Merrimack Co. deeds, April 12. 1905, V. 364, p. 237). This must have been for a short time, because the Kidder brothers are believed to have also had it in this period. Shortly thereafter they sold to Ralph H. Keil. Keil was the owner when the drugstore caught fire in 1905. (Squires, p. 13).

After the fire, Alfred B. Stimson (1871-1924) bought the site on which the original pharmacy was built, and erected a new building, which he called "The New London Pharmacy." It was built in 1906. The Stimson family lived over the store for a number of years, before moving into the Knight house next door (now Lemon Twist) (Squires, p. 477). Stimson's wife, Nellie, served as the assistant druggist (Squires, pp. 10 and 112).

On September 15, 1924, the pharmacy was puchased by Mr. and Mrs. Fred S. Lovely. In 1930 Fred added an ice cream parlor "which although connected with the main store, offers seclusion in a quiet, cool room for those wishing to enjoy a light lunch" (The Highlander, June 18, 1930, p. 7). In 1937, Fred made an "extensive addition to the ice cream parlor which is connected with his drugstore. There will be a fireplace, and new furnishings and draperies, making it a cheery room" (The Speaker, Sept. 4, 1937, p. 3).

Following Fred's death in 1940, the pharmacy was taken over by his son, Robert M. Lovely (1909-1991). "Under his direction extensive repairs and improvements were carried out; and in 1950 a complete sports goods department was added" (Squires, p. 112).

In turn, Robert M. Lovely, Jr. (1938- ) operated the business, first with his parents, and then on his own until 1977, (Stecker, p .213 and p. 424).

Stories & Trivia

<Insert stories or legends>

Photos & Images


Related Articles

<insert link(s) here>