Main Street, New London NH

Current Use

  • Bandstand on Sargent Common


  • 1982 — dedication of new, octagonal bandstand near former Heidelberg Hotel site.
  • 1936 — a square bandstand platform was constructed on the former Colby Hall site.
  • 1892 — an octagonal, covered bandstand was built near the Old Academy.

Building History

Today's bandstand, named in honor of Mary Haddad, was inspired by Ausbon Sargent's purchase of the Town Common from Colby-Sawyer College in 1985 and his donation of the land to the town. Sargent had recalled the earlier bandstand near the Old Academy building when he was young. Steve Mendelson, Norm Leger, Vinita Gay, and a small group of other interested citizens thought a new bandstand was just what was needed and approached the selectmen to form a committee. The idea was approved, and the committee began fund raising. The voters accepted the gift of almost $10,000 raised at the Town Meeting of 1987. Local architect Deirdre McCrystal Sheerr and contractor Chris Pellerin brought the building to life; the inaugural concert took place on July 2, 1989.[1]

In the spring of 2016, the lower portion of the bandstand was completely reconstructed and a wheelchair ramp added at the rear.

Stories & Trivia

"The new band-stand on the Heidelberg grounds is a beautiful and artistic structure, with its pagoda-like roof, and its fancy colorings...."[2]

"A bandstand has been constructed on the lower campus."[3]

Photos & Images

Band Stand

Town Bandstand

  1. ^ Stecker, pp.140-142
  2. ^ Summer Rest, August 1892, p. 11
  3. ^ The Speaker, August 10, 1936, p. 4