428 Main Street, New London NH


Current Use

  • Commercial

Formerly


Front section, right:
  • 1980s - Mary Flynn - Village Studio gift shop
  • Paul and Ellen Merrigan - Village Studio
  • 1908 - after 1950 -Henry Robbins - homestead and tin shop and plumbing establishment.
  • 1897-99 - Miss Abba McConnell, Modiste (also sister, Angie); daughters of Robert McConnell
  • 18??-1909 - Homestead of Robert McConnell, saddler and harness maker; Robert died in 1903 and his wife in 1909.
  • c. 1865- family of George W. Everett until 1880 when Mrs. Everett moved to Massachusetts
  • (not on Walling's 1858 map)

Building History


March 6, 1865 - Ellen F.L. Everett purchased 25 rods of land "more or less" from Thomas Abbott
(Merrimack Co. Registry of Deeds, V. 177: p. 294).

1873 - House of Henry Robbins used by widow of George Everett (Oren D. Crockett, article about New London in 1873 in The Highlander for May 28, 1929). George W. Everett died in 1863, and his family "resided in the house north of the parsonage until the 1880s when Mrs. Everett removed with her children to Massachusetts;" (Lord, p. 465).

Robert McConnell (1832-1903) came to New London with his wife, Margaret (1831-1909) in 1861. After serving in the Civil War and with his discharge in 1965, he returned to New London and developed his "custom harness-making business." The McConnells had 7 children, the third of which was Abba, b. 1863, who was a "skilled modiste," operating her business out of the house. (Lord, p. 501). Her sister Angie was also a dressmaker. (Squires p. 424). "Robert McConnell had a flourishing harness business in a building which in 1950 was still in use by the plumber, Henry Robbins, on Main Street." (Squires, p. 8).

Henry Robbins (1870-19 ) came from Sunapee to New London in 1908 with his wife, Geneva Boody Robbins (1871-19 ). They had 5 children (Squires, p. 458) "The first plumber in town was Henry T. Robbins who opened his shop in 1908.," (Squires, p. 119).

1909 -Auction of McConnell Homestead (Colby Academy Voice, November, 1909: "On October 13, most of the property of the McConnell homestead was sold at public auction." The October, 1909 issue mentions several houses changing hands on Main St., including Mr. Henry Robbins acquiring the McConnell homestead.

Henry Robbins (1870-

2004 - Gavin Campbell meets with Planning Board with conceptual site plan for Village Green; he shows plans to add 8' to rear of back of building, with walk out basement.
(Intertown Record, May 18, 2004).

<Insert building history>

Stories & Trivia


<Insert stories or legends>

Photos & Images


428-1.jpg
Commercial


Related Articles


<insert link(s) here>