456 Main Street, New London NH


Current Use

  • Private residence

Formerly

  • Acquired by College and used as an Art Studio; at this time it was known as the "Ward Cottage."
  • c. 1933- built by Mabel McIntire Burpee Ward for her own use when she sold the house next door to her niece. (See 454 Main St.) Mabel was widowed twice - she first married Charles Woodbury Burpee; Charles was born in 1874, son of James Henry Burpee, a first cousin of Anthony, Edwin, etc. She second married Charles Howell Ward, who died in 1940. Squires notes that Mabel lived in the house to the right of this one from 1908-1932, then was a summer resident from 1932-1942, after which she lived in New London full time again. (Squires, p. 486).

Building History


Built in 1933: "Mrs. Mabel Ward to build" - (The Highlander, May 17, 1933, p. 1). The article notes that a cottage is to be built for Mrs. Charles H. Ward, located "below the garden of her house, soon to be occupied by Dr. and Mrs. Jack Norris."

Stories & Trivia


<Insert stories or legends>

Photos & Images


456-3.jpg

Related Articles


<insert link(s) here>