504 Main Street, New London NH


Current Use

  • Residence of the Colby-Sawyer College president

Formerly

  • None

Building History

  • Farm property of Josiah Brown
  • Land acquired by Colby Academy (then the NL Literary and Scientific Institution) from John Brown, 1863.
  • 1936 - House built for College Presidents with funds from Mary Colgate and dedicated on March 31, 1937. The first President to live here was H. Leslie Sawyer with his wife, Emma. It has been lived in by every College President since being built.


Stories & Trivia


Tyler Grace of Elkins built the stone walls along the driveway and in the garden of the backyard (Squires, p. 118).

Photos & Images


504-1.jpg

Presidents_House.jpg
President's House