618 Main Street, New London NH


Current Use

  • Private residence

Formerly

  • c. 1997 - Residence moved back on property and totally changed; additions made
  • 1997 - Paul and Gwen Basile
  • 1962 - Susan Colgate Cleveland sells to Edgar R. and Judith Condict
  • 1928 -Jessie, William Colgate, and May Colby restore house
  • 1897 - Mark B. Means runs farm and lives here with Herricks
  • 1892 Hurd map - J. C. Herrick
  • 1858 Walling map - G.W. Craf't Hotel (Craft was a stage driver)
  • 1855 - called "New London Hotel, Dea. J. Herrick, Proprietor" (The Cresset, April 23, 1855).
  • After 1840 Daniel S. Seamans "kept tavern at the Herrick House for 18 months" (before buying his own homestead in 1851, Lord, p. 383)
  • By 1832 a stage stop for the six-horse stage that ran daily between Concord and Hanover.
  • Herrick Tavern and residence of Joseph C. Herrick and family, and his siblings.
  • Jonathan Herrick residence (built 1811-1814); he moved to Appletree Cottage in 1840.

Building History

  • Buillt 1811-1814 as wedding present to Sarah (1790-1823) and Capt. Jonathan Herrick (1786-1847) from Sarah's father, Joseph Colby. (Joseph deeded 22 acres of land to Jonathan in 1813). The Herricks had 3 children - Joseph C. (1812-1890), George (1815-1888), and Nancy (1817-1849). After Sarah's death, Jonathan married Rhoda Everett (1798-1834), and they had 2 children - Mary Everett (1826-1848) and Jonathan Everett [called Everett or Jok] - (1827-1914). Capt. Jonathan married a third time to Lucy Pearce (1792-1842). By 1813 Jonathan Herrick had a tavern license for an establishment he ran for many years, In 1840 he moved across the street to Appletree Cottage.
  • Joseph C. Herrick (called Deacon Herrick), lived in the homestead from childhood and after his marriage in 1836 to Elima Hunting (1813-1839); they had one son, George H.W. Herrick (1839-1877), the only grandchild of Capt. Jonathan Herrick. In 1840 Joseph married Dolly Huntoon (1808-1879) and in 1880 a third time to Susan Philbrick (1837-1925). Neither of these wives had children. Deacon Joseph Herrick's brother George, a stage driver for the Cheney line, lived at the Homestead when he was in New London. Susan Philbrick Herrick became blind by 1889 but remained in the homestead until her death in 1925.
  • September, 1858 - Anthony Colby had the "severed part of the Hotel" moved away and "the house set on stones" by a team of 10 or 11 men (letter from Susan Colby to her sister-in-law, Mary C. Colby). (This became the Retreat; see London House).
  • 1925 - Herrick Homestead inherited by Susan's nephew and wife, George and Pearl Philbrick
  • 1928 - House acquired by Jessie, William C.(Colgate), and Mary (May) Colby, unmarried children of Robert and Mary Colgate Colby who had been living in their grandfather William Colgate's house in NYC. They made extensive changes to the old house, tearing down the arched entrance to the stable and barn areas and restoring the house. Colgate died in 1936, May in 1942, and Jessie in 1959.
  • 1930 - "Miss Jessie Colby is having a very attractive garage and caretaker's quarters erected at the rear of her property," (The Highlander, July 15, 1930, p. 12).
  • House inherited in 1959 by Susan Colgate Cleveland (whose father was a first cousin of Jessie, Colgate, and May Colby). She sold the house to Edgar R. and Judith Pond Condict on Oct. 25, 1962 (Merrimack Co. deeds, V. 909, p.299).
  • Quitcalim deed from Edgar amd Judith Condict to Charles Solms, 1995.
  • by 1997 - Paul and Gwen Basile.

<Insert building history>

Stories & Trivia


Built by Joseph Colby as a wedding present for his daughter, Sarah.

Photos & Images


618-3.jpg

Herrick_Tavern.jpg
Herrick Tavern