724 Main Street, New London NH


Current Use

  • Our Lady of Fatima Rectory

Formerly

  • Private residence and farm 1857-1955

Building History

  • 1966- Our Lady of Fatima Church was erected and the home was used as the rectory
  • 1955- The property was purchased by the Roman Catholic Bishop of Manchester
  • 1946- Frederick and Edith Chamberlain bought the home and 3.3 acres from William Spence
  • 1941- William Spence of Lowell, Massachusetts purchases home with field, but Mr. McCann held title to the rest of the large farm
  • 1927- Frederick McCann of Short Hills, New Jersey purchases property for a summer home.
  • 1882- Edward O. Lord of Somersworth, NH purchased the property and established a large milk business there.
  • 1869- Jonathon D. Fiske purchased tract with buildings on SW side of highway from New London to Sutton
  • 1857- Captain Samuel Carr engaged Gage Woodward to build the present home for his son, Jonathon Greeley Carr
  • 1820-Captain Samuel Carr married Nancy Greeley, and took over the farm, but lived across the road
  • 1803- Ebenezer Shepard exchanged his farm with son-in- law Jonathan Greeley for wild land on Low Plain, which he cleared.
  • Land owned by Ebenezer Shepard Jr. (1767-1849)


Stories & Trivia

  • In 1882, Edward O. Lord came to New London and purchased the property. He made a specialty of breeding Holstein-Friesian cattle; his full-blooded stock came from the farm of Smith, Powell and Lamb of Rochester New York. From this stock came high grade Holsteins, and with them the sale of milk to the Boston area. This business continued to grow over the years, but ended in 1907.
  • When the Samuel Carr had the house built, across the street from his own home, it was said that the front doors of the two houses were in line, and members of each family could stand in their respective doorways and look across to the other house.


Photos & Images


724-1.jpg
Parsonage


Related Articles